Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gypsies, Kinda...

As of Wednesday, the Groundhog family wearily settled into our 'rent' house.  We get to leave again sometime in the next 18 months baring unplanned events of some kind.  I am soooo sore.  I hurt everywhere.  Still...
It took us 12 days, though we didn't do big hauling but for about 4 of them.  It took 4 pickups, 3 trailers, one Suburban, 2 10x30' storage units,and 9 friends (you know, the true kind that will help you hide bodies and stuff).  Oh. My. Lord...
We WILL be getting rid of a TON of stuff before we do this again.  Current house looks like a storage unit too.  The bedrooms are almost in shape, the rest, not so much but it's coming along.  Nobody died or got seriously injured, though I have a number of bruises.  I could seriously use a week off about now.  At least the holidays slow us down a bit.  Besides that, I gotta save my leave for something coming up in about 6 months that I'll tell you about in another post.

From a prepping perspective this whole event was kind of interesting.  We've been unable to do much anything about prepping for the last year due to finances.  Now we'll actually be able to do some things that will help us in that regard.  Got lots of money priorities to sort out though.  The Hogdar ™ has of late been picking up much "end of all things" fear out there.  Financial people freak out pretty good, and probably for good reason although their timelines are probably way too compressed.  When we took the stock dump of 2008 a lot of people lost a lot of money very quickly.  It took many more months for companies to lay people off and get the Great Recession rolling along nicely.  I'm of the opinion that a financial collapse could certainly occur quickly but it's effects tend to take quite a bit of time to work through the economy.  Other than Iran and the Myan calendar thing, there doesn't seem to be too many big outside threats to the USA.  Our internal anxiety is rather high but I don't see anything obviously threatening until we get near election time.  The Occupy protests were pretty pathetic.  The TEA party went back to work a long time ago.  Our politicians are the usual crop of horribleness.  And we're going to keep borrowing money until the economy explodes.  This could go on for some time actually.  For that I'm rather grateful as it gives me sorely needed time to stock up on stuff and deal with a few other issues.  I hope to get much more active in prepping this coming year.

Where are we going?  No idea.  I do believe it's going to be a bumpy, if not wild, ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment