Saturday, March 23, 2013

There I Was...

So last Sunday I threw a 50 lb. feed sack on my shoulder and took it the 30 yards to the feed shed or so.  It was also feeding time so after that Mrs. G and I were going to feed everybody.  Well, "everybody" knows when we're out there at that time of day that magic manna feed is going to shortly appear in their bowls.  But first, it rides in buckets to get there.  And if you're lucky, you can get your head in one of those buckets and get some!  This necessitated the birth of Emu Ninjutsu by the way, but that's another story.

"Everybody" was huddled around the feed storage shed and us Sherpas.  That's not where they are supposed to be.  I decided to grab one of the buckets and run to the corral area while shouting to get their attention.  It mostly worked.  My 48 year old back was not amused however.

It went out.

And not on a date.  I've been in pain, on drugs, and in bed (not as much as I should have been).  This happens from time to time.  Dad Groundhog had it.  Our backs would go out the same way for several days at a time.  You can pop it right back in but the trauma is done and it tends to go in and out for a few days until it settles down.  Fun times.  I walk like a neanderthal.

Maybe I've learned my lesson?  Probably not...

3 comments:

  1. Sympathies, sir. It's no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never appreciate how seamlessly my body worked for 50 years until I blew my knee out. A year later it still gives me fits on cold days and I can't run on it anymore.

    My sympathy goes out to you, backs are even more problematic. I hope this finds you feeling a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! I inherited my trick back from my Dad. He'd be laid up for 2-3 days at a time when his would go out and I got the same thing. It's been doing this to me since I was 20. Eventually it pops back in line and I'm fine again until the next bout of stupidity!

      Delete